Spider Katie Canete got in touch with her Irish roots for our Fall 2017 Around the World Potluck.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick melted butter
- Some sugar to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup raisins (optional: tastes good with or without raisins!)
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Measure all ingredients and place into a large bowl. Mix.
- Spray or butter an 8- or 9-inch round baking pan. (A loaf pan also works well.)
- Okay the dough into the pan. Dough may need to be shaped a bit with a spoon.
- Sprinkle top with sugar.
- Place dough into the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour. Keep a close eye on the bread once the top starts to brown. It may need as little as 45-50 minutes in the oven.
- Insert a toothpick or cake tester into the center of the bread to check if it is done. The toothpick should come out clean with no dough on it.